Skip to main content

Eats in Japan

As far as blog posts go, this is one of the main topics that I will be covering- my experiences with food in Japan and Tokyo.

For the last few years, I have been based in Tokyo, and it has been a great opportunity for me to learn about and experience Japanese food culture.  Having spent several years working at a Japanese restaurant before arriving in Japan, I was under the impression that I knew a lot about Japanese food. Upon my arrival here, I realized that my understanding of Japanese food culture had been limited - how food is thought about, its availability and quality, the pains taken to procure ingredients, how and how much food is marketed, were all a real eye-openers.

One hears that prices of food in Japan are high, but that is definitely not always the case. Many items can be found at a reasonable price, although that being said, there is no upper limit to how much you can pay. Living in Tokyo has also opened my eyes to foods from many other countries. Almost everything can be found here, although prices can be exorbitant in some cases (and authenticity definitely varies). Nevertheless the last few years have been a big influence on the way I think about food.

I'm not going to attempt to provide a primer on Japanese food or anything of that type, but I hope to include useful bits of information that will communicate the spirit of how and why things are done how they are, at least as I see it.

I leave you with one of my favourite videos about Japanese food- a spoof by the comedy group Ramenz (ラーメンズ).

Enjoy!






Comments

  1. This has to be one of my favourite skits by Ramenz! Let's all go eat salt at the entrance of the sushi restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sushi Mizutani (鮨水谷)

I went to Sushi Mizutani with a friend of mine last month (this post has been a long time coming). It was my first ever 3 Michelin star experience, and as it is rated as one of the best restaurants in the world (and perhaps the 2nd best Sushi place), I arrived at the restaurant full of anticipation for the meal to come. The short story is, it was the best Sushi I have ever had... for the long....long... story, read on.  I'll warn you now, it is a pretty long post.

Chicken on a stick (Yakitori 焼鳥) in Jinbocho (神保町) Part 1.

If you are reading this blog, you probably already have an idea of what yakitori is.  If not, the title gives you a brief explanation. Chicken on a stick. One of the oldest ways of cooking meat known to man. Most cultures have their own variation of this- satay, souvlaki, kebab, churrasco- and Japan is no exception. One of the things which sets Japanese yakitori apart from the others, is the sheer variety of things on the menu and the parts of chicken used. From shiitake mushrooms, bacon wrapped asparagus, quail eggs and ginko nuts to skewers with grilled chicken skin, gizzard, heart, liver or cartilage .. the list goes on. The good places grill it front of you and it arrives hot on your plate. Also available are a selection of non-grilled dishes, including appetizers, salads, soups and rice dishes. Recently, a friend of mine visited me in Tokyo and asked me to take her and her family for some yakitori.  Of course, I was happy to do so, and searching on the int...

Nobu Tokyo

It's been a while since my last post... have been busy with many things so I haven't had time to sit down and write.  For today, I will just cover Nobu Tokyo, which is one of my more recent culinary adventures. Nobu Tokyo ( http://www.nobutokyo.com/ ) I'd first heard about Nobu about maybe 7 or 8 years ago, when I was working part time as a 'sushi-chef'.  The quotes are there because, well, while I certainly made nigiri-sushi and an assortment of sushi-rolls, I felt (and still do) that I didn't have enough skills to be deserving of that name.  Anyhow, one of the first culinary books I'd ever picked up and read seriously was his book "Nobu The Cookbook" ( http://www.amazon.com/Nobu-The-Cookbook-Nobuyuki-Matsuhisa/dp/156836489X ), which in addition to including recipes from his restaurant menu, details the journey and hardships he underwent in the struggle to become a successful restaurateur. At that time, I never even imagined that I would have...