Skip to main content

Omotesando Koffee- a hidden coffee 'bar'

A little while ago, a friend of mine brought me to this interesting coffee shop tucked away in the backstreets of the trendy Omotesando shopping area. Apparently, it was recommended to her by her hairdresser.

http://ooo-koffee.com/menu/
http://ooo-koffee.com/about/

As you may garner from the interesting and somewhat minimalist website design, it is kind of a unique spot and you can tell that a lot of effort as been put into designing the details.

The place itself is not a traditional coffee shop. One might call it a coffee bar, but then there is the fact that it seems to be in someone's living room.  And that living room is a Japanese-style tatami mat room, complete with a counter equipped with an espresso machine. As a result, there is no real place to sit- there are a couple of stools outside in the garden but a lot of customers drink standing or do take out orders.

This is what it looks like:

I wish my living room had one of these.


And this is what the coffee looks like:

Left: Bailey's Espresso, Right: Espresso Machiatto (double)


I'm not a coffee connoisseur or barista, but I do enjoy my coffee. I would have to say that the coffee was pretty good- my drink was the espresso machiatto(double of course) and it was smooth, full-flavoured and well-balanced.

There is a menu which you can order from with a good selection of both hot and cold drinks, but the barista will gladly take any custom orders. Friends accompanying us wanted 'flat whites' which are a little difficult to find around these parts, and the owner happily obliged (I tried a bit, they were tasty too). I don't have my own picture of it, but they do have a recommended food item- baked custard (http://ooo-koffee.com/kashi/) which goes along well with your coffee.

So, next time you are in the Omotesando area and looking for that pick-me-up to give you some energy after all of that sightseeing or shopping, head over to Omotesando Koffee.  If you do, let me know what you think!


The shop is a bit hard to find and is in the streets behind the Omotesando Hills shopping complex. The nearest station exit is A2 of Tokyo Metro Omotesando Station. For best results consult my good friend Google maps.

 Address: Shibuya-ku, Jingumae, 4-15-3 (東京都渋谷区神宮前4-15-3 ).






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sushi Mizutani (鮨水谷)

I went to Sushi Mizutani with a friend of mine last month (this post has been a long time coming). It was my first ever 3 Michelin star experience, and as it is rated as one of the best restaurants in the world (and perhaps the 2nd best Sushi place), I arrived at the restaurant full of anticipation for the meal to come. The short story is, it was the best Sushi I have ever had... for the long....long... story, read on.  I'll warn you now, it is a pretty long post.

Chicken on a stick (Yakitori 焼鳥) in Jinbocho (神保町) Part 1.

If you are reading this blog, you probably already have an idea of what yakitori is.  If not, the title gives you a brief explanation. Chicken on a stick. One of the oldest ways of cooking meat known to man. Most cultures have their own variation of this- satay, souvlaki, kebab, churrasco- and Japan is no exception. One of the things which sets Japanese yakitori apart from the others, is the sheer variety of things on the menu and the parts of chicken used. From shiitake mushrooms, bacon wrapped asparagus, quail eggs and ginko nuts to skewers with grilled chicken skin, gizzard, heart, liver or cartilage .. the list goes on. The good places grill it front of you and it arrives hot on your plate. Also available are a selection of non-grilled dishes, including appetizers, salads, soups and rice dishes. Recently, a friend of mine visited me in Tokyo and asked me to take her and her family for some yakitori.  Of course, I was happy to do so, and searching on the int...

Nobu Tokyo

It's been a while since my last post... have been busy with many things so I haven't had time to sit down and write.  For today, I will just cover Nobu Tokyo, which is one of my more recent culinary adventures. Nobu Tokyo ( http://www.nobutokyo.com/ ) I'd first heard about Nobu about maybe 7 or 8 years ago, when I was working part time as a 'sushi-chef'.  The quotes are there because, well, while I certainly made nigiri-sushi and an assortment of sushi-rolls, I felt (and still do) that I didn't have enough skills to be deserving of that name.  Anyhow, one of the first culinary books I'd ever picked up and read seriously was his book "Nobu The Cookbook" ( http://www.amazon.com/Nobu-The-Cookbook-Nobuyuki-Matsuhisa/dp/156836489X ), which in addition to including recipes from his restaurant menu, details the journey and hardships he underwent in the struggle to become a successful restaurateur. At that time, I never even imagined that I would have...