Skip to main content

Comfort Food in West Ikebukuro (西池袋)- キッチンABC (Kitchen ABC)


Sometimes you need something quick, tasty and filling.  Yesterday's dinner was one of those occasions for me. Japanese 洋食, or "western-food" is something that I usually associate with that. Some examples of youshoku include ハンバーグ, or hamburger patty, various type of breaded and deep fried cutlets and croquettes, omelettes, omrice(egg-wrapped fried rice ), and other kinds of flavorful, filling dishes.

One of my favourites is omrice, prepared just so (not the same restaurant):




Doesn't it look so good (I hope to review that restaurant one day... it is in Kyoto, watch other videos on the dude's youtube channel for more 洋食 videos)!!

Anyways, Japanese curry, mayonnaise, demi-glace, mustard and sauce "ソース"(a sweet and sour almost Worcestershire sauce style condiment) are just a few of the flavours that often make an appearance. Usually these meals can be found as teishoku(定食), or meal sets, and come with a miso soup, some kind of salad or veg, and rice. Prices are reasonable, usually in the range of 7-900yen, depending on what you order.

Last night, I visited Kitchen ABC, a youshoku place located very close to Ikebukuro west gate park and the newly renovated theatre. It is a small place, no more than 30 seats, but the turnover is quick, with many single diners or couples popping in and out. If you have to wait, they usually take your order and can have it at your table almost immediately after you take your seat. I picked "tomato-pork(豚トマト)", which you can see in the picture here. The main part of the dish was thinly sliced pork, which was sauteed, and covered in a tomato- based sauce. The sauce was nothing like your Italian marinara, but was a bit more liquid and had a sweet and light taste which combined the flavours of the two main ingredients.

As the picture shows, a variety of sides came on the same plate (miso soup and rice not shown here). The veg was a nice balance to offset the sweetness. The pasta I could have done without. The two deep-fried things on top were chicken cutlets, which I added to the order for about 180 yen. They were exactly what I wanted, crispy on the outside, juicy, hot and tender on the inside.

The total price of my meal was something like 880 yen, not bad for eating out. I totally recommend Kitchen ABC if you are looking for something quick and tasty in the vicinity of Ikebukuro station. It's not the most upscale joint around, but more than satisfactory in terms of location, speed of service, and taste of food.  Furthermore, they have recently changed their policy to no-smoking, making things even better. We'll give them a rating of 88 for this visit, and will definitely be back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yebisu Beer Museum - Beer "Tasting Salon" in Ebisu

It's been a little while since my last post... I've both been a bit busy, and have not really been eating out during this time.  However, a couple of weeks back, I did visit the Yebisu Beer Tasting Salon in the Yebisu Beer Museum, located in Ebisu station's Garden Place.  Garden Place is a nice, upscale shopping complex with restaurants, cafes, hotels, a movie theatre and more.  There is a stage in the middle of the plaza where they hold events, and in the summer there is a temporary outdoor  "beer garden". I heard that the station itself is named after the brewery. "Yebisu" or "Ebisu", is part of Sapporo Breweries, and is one of the more "premium" of the 4 main beers sold in Japan. By premium, I mean that they cost several tens of yen more when you buy them at the shop. To me, at least, Yebisu tastes a lot better than Sapporo Ichiban.  You can find their website, with English, here ( http://www.sapporoholdings.jp/english/guide/yebi

Eats in Japan

As far as blog posts go, this is one of the main topics that I will be covering- my experiences with food in Japan and Tokyo. For the last few years, I have been based in Tokyo, and it has been a great opportunity for me to learn about and experience Japanese food culture.  Having spent several years working at a Japanese restaurant before arriving in Japan, I was under the impression that I knew a lot about Japanese food. Upon my arrival here, I realized that my understanding of Japanese food culture had been limited - how food is thought about, its availability and quality, the pains taken to procure ingredients, how and how much food is marketed, were all a real eye-openers. One hears that prices of food in Japan are high, but that is definitely not always the case. Many items can be found at a reasonable price, although that being said, there is no upper limit to how much you can pay. Living in Tokyo has also opened my eyes to foods from many other countries. Almost everything